(Author, Andrew G. Slade, published 1976) – Title page - An authorized publication of the Presbytery of the Upper Ohio Valley in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the United States of American in 1976.

Knoxville Church – Still Standing, currently Wesleyan Church
{Picture from, Presbyterianism in the Upper Ohio Valley}

Adena First Presbyterian Church was first known as the Short Creek Presbyterian Church and was organized in 1847 by the families of Kerrs, Hagans, Hamilton, Carrick, and Stringer from the Beech Spring Church which was organized in 1804. The Beech Spring Church, from which the Adena Congregation came, was dissolved about 1920 and the building is no longer there. The Beech Cemetery is still being used. Seven young men received into communion of this church and entered the ministry. They were Robert Kerr, Samuel G. Kerr, David Ramsey Kerr, Chalmers Armstrong, Henry Brown, James Wells, and Robert Shields. All are deceased. The first Ruling Elders were Robert Brown, Samuel Kerr, William Stringer, and Thomas Hamilton.

Annapolis Presbyterian Church – On November 4, 1824, Rev. Thomas Hunt, Pastor of the Two Ridge Church, came to Annapolis and organized the First Presbyterian Church, the nineteenth church on the roll of Steubenville Presbytery. This organization was in connection with the Evangelical Lutheran and German Reformed, occupied a small edifice on the public ground facing Union Street. After Rev. John Dundass was called to the pastorate in 1840, the old church was torn down and a new brick edifice was erected by Jacob Shultz…early in the spring of 1879, having decided the building was not adequate for their needs that they should erect a new building. Under the direction of George M. Gault, Amos Albaugh and Ezekiel Kerr, founds and materials were gathered to build a church…the plot of ground on which the building now stands was presented and deed given to the congregation by Aunt Polly Wilson. Mr. Gault, Mr. Albaugh, and Mr. Kerr canvassed the community for funds. Mr. William I. Miser and a few others donated a sum of money for building a belfry. Mr. Gault traveled to New Jersey to purchase a bell, which he presented, and which still calls people to worship. Ezekiel Kerr donated timber and James McKee finished it into lumber. The ladies gave the interior furnishings. The contract for the erection of the building was left to Robert M. Shultz, grandson of the afore-mentioned Jacob Shultz. In June of 1879, the framework was raised and on October 24, the new church was dedicated, entirely free of debt. The church was remodeled during the pastorate of Rev. Gans, 1922 – 1924, with electricity being installed.

Bergholz Trinity United Presbyterian Church –Nearly two hundred years ago, when the hills and valleys were dense and trackless wilderness, when the red man and the wild beasts held undisputed possession, the early pioneers began to make their appearance in this part of Ohio, redeeming it from its virgin condition…Among the first of these early pioneers of whom we have any knowledge of were Thomas George and Henry Crabs. These two families were the nucleus of this congregation, but its number was soon increased. The faith of these pioneers was rugged as their bodies. The first preaching services were conducted by Rev. George Buchanan, about the year 1810. Steubenville up through Columbiana County, and Carroll County, and back through Jefferson County, preaching at the different settlements and baptizing the last year’s crop of babies. And thus, the spark of living was kept alive by the visits of these pioneer preachers. In the year 1818, Yellow Creek Congregation was organized by the Rev. E.N. Scroggs, in connection with Scroggsfield and Glad Run. It was at this time that the Yellow Creek (now Mooretown) Church Cemetery was founded. The elders erected and ordained were Thomas George and Henry Crabs. The first sacrament was dispensed by the Rev. Scroggs and Dr. Ramsey. A cemetery was added in 1818. By 1828 the first church building had been constructed at the Mooretown-Yellow Creek Church. A fire consumed this original building, and in 1858 the congregation joined together to rebuild a new frame building on the original site, which stands today… (recently burned down)...During the year 1856, the original “charge” became three separate “charges” and the Rev. Thomas Simpson was called to the pastorate of the Yellow Creek congregation. Accepting a call to preaching to the congregation of both Yellow Creek and Grant’s Hill, the Rev. H.Y. Leeper began a period of leadership in January 1870. He later established a Mission Station at Bergholz; the Women’s Missionary Society was founded due to zeal and untiring efforts of Mrs. Leeper. She led the Yellow Creek Congregation to great strength and made it known as one of the highest Presbytery in proportion to its membership. The Mission Station, which was founded in 1886, whose members came from transfers from the Mooretown-Yellow Creek Congregation, erected its first edifice on the corner of Second and Jefferson Streets, in 1886, and on December 1, 1886, Rev. Leeper began serving the Yellow Creek Mission. The Bergholz United Presbyterian Church building was dedicated in 1893 and 1909 saw the Mission Station formally organized into a congregation. Through the years and growth, the Bergholz United Presbyterian Church eventually merged with its parent in 1947, with Yellow Creek, its Mission Station and Bergholz United Presbyterian Church took place, and the congregation settled into life at the Bergholz church building… Henry Wilson

Crabs, John Dorrance, and R. Leeper Stevenson entered into full-time Christian service form the Yellow Creek Church. (Ministers from Mooretown through 1959, First Presbyterian to 1958, and Trinity Presbyterian Church to 1975.)

Ministers Mooretown Yellow Creek U.P. Church
E. N. Scroggs 1818
John Donaldson 1823-1835
James Patterson 1837-1855
Thomas Easton 1855-1856
Thomas Simpson 1856-1861
James Golden 1864-1869
H.Y. Leeper 1870-1902
H.Y. Leeper 1886-1902
J. Walter Liggitt 1904-1908

First Presbyterian Church
Israel Price 1884
James Kirkbride 1893-1895
Homer Seeley 1896
A. McLean 1897-1899
N.K. Crowe 1901-1904

Trinity United Presbyterian Church
Union – April 12, 1959
Edwin E. Liddell 1959

Bloomingdale United Presbyterian Church – On April 19, 1825, the inhabitants of Bloomfield and its neighborhood took the first steps toward organizing a Presbyterian Church at the meeting of Steubenville Presbyterian held at Island Creek. The request was compiled by Rev. Mr. Beatty and the Rev. Mr. Hunt
appointed to supply and report at its next meeting. On July 26, the committee appointed to visit and preach at Bloomfield reported favorably, and the motion of the petitioners was granted. At that time, the Rev. Nesbit was appointed to supply Bloomfield on the fifth Sabbath of July; the Rev. Arbuthnot on the second Sabbath of August, and the Rev. Rutherford on the fourth Sabbath of November.

United Presbyterian Church, Mt. Pleasant - org. 1798
{Photo from, Presbyterianism in the Upper Ohio Valley}

April 18, 1826 the congregation of Bloomfield requested that they be organized as a church. The Rev. McMillan and Rev. Beatty were appointed to organize a church and to administer the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper on the fourth Sunday of September. The congregation met June 29 and elected the following elders: Robert Crouch, Cyrus Day and John Kinney. These men were ordained by Rev. Hunt in September. On September 24, a church was formally organized…It has in membership 18 and in ten years had grown to 77 members. Between 1836 and 1846, it seems from session records, that the church was in a weak condition….by September 1846, the moderator reported that William Marsh was found to be the only surviving member of the session. From 1846 through the Civil War, the Rev. John Watson was pastor. He rode on horseback throughout the area. During the war, Rev. Watson proved to be a Secessionist. Feelings ran high among the church members, so finally the session voted to close the church doors to all political meetings. One Sunday morning, seven of the headed Union sympathizers expressed their disapproval of the pastor by sticking large honey locust thorns up through the seat of the pulpit chair. That morning, however, while getting ready for church, Rev. Watson died suddenly, and thus relieved a most delicate situation…In 1865, it was recorded that Rev. Beatty, who helped organize the church some forty years before, was present at session meetings serving as moderator. Before the church was built, the congregation worshipped in a small log schoolhouse on a hill in the center of town. When it came time for a new church to be built, the schoolhouse was sold for a princely sum of one hundred dollars. Land for the new proposed church was donated by David Craig, who owned a large portion of the land in Bloomfield. By 1869 Rev. Parkinson served as the church pastor. On June 30, 1888, the church was growing…In 1876 (this could be a typo and maybe should be 1896?) Rev. Boyd was pastor, and construction on the new church was begun. Repairs were made on the church in 1926. It stood on the same ground as the original church in the cemetery, but was closer to the road...In 1913, during the pastorate of Rev. Mr. Love; the United Presbyterian Church was disbanded. A number of its members transferred their membership to the Presbyterian Church…In September of 1960, construction of a “new” church building, located east of the Bloomingdale corporation line on Old Route 22, was begun. In 1961 the church was completed…the dedication sermon was preached by Rev. Dr. Grimes, This congregation, we are glad to say, is in a thriving condition and is doing a good work for the service of the Master.”

Ministers list since 1834

James Robertson 1834
John Knox 1839
E.H. Neven 1842
John Watson 1846
M.A. Parkinson 1866
John B. Dickey 1870
J.F. Boyd 1874
Samuel Forbes 1886
T.C. McNary 1896
A.B. Mindmyer 1899
Martin W. Simpson 1900
Minister list continues through 1974

Brilliant Presbyterian Church – The congregation was organized on January 29, 1887. It has existed as a religious society as early as 1882...

Pastors of this church
S.C. George 1888
W.F. Weir 1889
E.C. Rust 1892
W. Houston 1893
James Potter 1898
W.P. McConkey 1906
William Orr 1909
W. Felmeth 1912
M.B. Maharg 1914
E.M. Jones 1921
P. Williams 1927
Mason Cochran 1932
Roy Conner 1937
Dever Walker 1942

Potter Memorial Presbyterian Church
{Picture from, Presbyterianism in the Upper Ohio Valley}

Dillonvale Presbyterian Church – The church was founded on March 16, 1906. The church had a definite decline in membership in the late 60’s due to younger members moving to other areas to live.

Glen Robbins Presbyterian Church – In the spring of 1920, a former teacher received a letter from a young Polish women whom she had learned to know in a vacation Bible School held in a mining town in 1918. She was married and living in Short Creek where her husband worked in the mines. The teacher took a trolley to Yorkville where she was met by the woman and her husband. They then walked three miles up a hill on an unimproved road. They reached the little community of Glen Robbins. The teacher was quite impressed with the beauty of the site…When she returned home, she reported her experience to Dr. John Sharpe who was the leader…Miss Helen J. Chappie began full-time work in October of 1921 organizing a Sunday School…
Mingo Junction First United Presbyterian Church - Its Antecedents (1) Potter Memorial Presbyterian Church on March 1, 1873, a group of the agricultural residents, who held membership in the Presbyterian Church of Steubenville met at the home of Adam Peefer, Sr., to organize a Presbyterians Church in Mingo Junction. A committee was selected to receive deed for lots given by the heirs of Daniel Potter… James Hill was chosen chairman and H.L. Wilson, secretary. Others on the committee were Adam Peter, Henry Adams, and J.H. Erwin…On April 30, 1873, an appointment to visit Mingo was made and to seek the way to clearly organize a church there. The church was dedicated August 17, 1873, and the first Communion was celebrated on September 21, 1873. The congregation was served by supply ministers, with T.V. Milligan being the first. The others were:

T.V. Milligan 1873-1876
J.W. Hamilton 1876-1879
George R. Cochran 1879
S. Forbes 1879-1885
Mr. Spriggs 1886-1887
H.O. Gilson 1887

In 1908, the membership again took a nose-dive to deaths and members leaving the community…sharing a part time minister from the Brilliant Congregation…the records speak of both of these congregations coming together in order that Mingo and Brilliant have a Presbyterian witness. The church moved and God blessed…A new manse was built on Murdock Avenue around 1912…In 1951 the Rev. W.A. Martin was called to the Potter Memorial Church. During his pastorate the 80th Anniversary of Potter Church was observed…December 11, 1955 plans were completed and a merger of the Potter Memorial Church and the Slovak Church to become what is now the First United Presbyterian Church took place…

Mt. Pleasant United Presbyterian Church - The first church had its early beginnings in 1798. The people first worshiped in the area at the Beech Spring, later coming to worship at the Indian Short Creek Presbyterian Church which had its beginning in November of 1798. Rev. Thomas Marquis and Rev. John McMillan organized the church. The first Elders of the Short Creek congregation were James Clark, James Eagleson, Richard McKibbon and Thomas McCune. Other important figures of the early church are William Pickens, High McConahey, and Henry West. Joseph Anderson was licensed to preach as their minister on October 17, 1798 and he was formally installed on August 20, 1800. The church was first known as the Indian Short Creek and the name changed to the Presbyterian Congregation of Short Creek on February 24, 1834. In 1965 the Church was made the Mt. Pleasant Presbyterian Church. At the bottom of Hoge’s Hill on Little Indian Island Creek, the first building was erected which was made of log between 1798 and 1800. In 1819 it was moved to the top of the hill, using the Union House (building owned by the Associated Reformed Congregation) until 1829. (The Oak Grove cemetery is still at this location). The church moved to Mt. Pleasant where the congregation worshiped in the Seceder Church until their own building was erected in 1830. In 1855, the building was torn down and a new structure built. In 1937 the building burned down and a new structure was erected at the present site. Mt. Pleasant has been the parent church of a number of churches: Portland (now Rayland) which was organized in 1870, the Morning View Sunday School organized in 1906, and many others. Several churches were organized and later dissolved including: the Oak Grove Union House Associate Reform Church with Rev. Alexander as pastor from 1800-1829. The Seceder Church (Associated Reformed) Church in the early 1800’s. There were two pastors who served this church, Rev. Calderhead and later Rev. Joseph Clokey. Other congregations included the Piney Fork Associate Reformed Church (no date listed) and the Florence Mine Church (20th Century Church). Rev. Lloyd Smith, who has served the church since 1973, is the grandson of Rev. Isaac Lloyd Kinsey who was the pastor of the Friends Church in Mt. Pleasant from 1904-1914 and again in 1938 to 1939. Outstanding leadership has extended over many years of the early settlers including Thomas McCune, who served as an elder for this congregation who served as a private in the Revolution. Thomas Major was an elder who served this church from 1770 until 1838. John Hoff served the church for many years. He was a wealthy merchant and meat packer. Joseph Blatchford, who was an elder in the church, had three sons who entered the ministry: Alexander who was one of the first missionaries to Brazil, Robert and John. Ferdinand Ring, who was an elder in the church, was superintendant of the schools in Jefferson County from 1923 to 1926. There are several cemeteries located around and near the Mt. Pleasant Church. These are the Seceder Cemetery, Oak Grove Associated Reformed Cemetery, Indian Creek Cemetery (used from 1798-1819, with the exact location unknown because of no markers on the graves) has 100 buried there, the Wheeling Valley Cemetery, the Crab Apple Cemetery and the Unity Cemetery. Ministers who have served:

Joseph Anderson 1800-1829
Benjamin Mitchell 1829-1876
Samuel W. Pringle 1877-1896
Benjamin J. Brown 1897-1903
Sylvester W. Young 1904-1909
Jacob C. Mergler 1918-1920
Percy E. Burtt 1912-1915
And the list continues through Nov. 10, 1974.

Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church – This church was organized with 31 members on May 11, 1866. The first building was completed on October 18, 1866. In July of 1868, a call was issued to Rev. R.H. Van Pelt. The second pastor was the Rev. John Boyd from 1870 to 1874. Other ministers were Rev. W.V. Faris and Rev. John McCracken. The Rev. J.P. Leyenberger was called in joint pastorate with the Island Creek Church from 1893 to 1903. He was followed by Rev. Thomas Hine and Rev. W.R. Russell and the Rev. E.G. Morris. In 1943 the church was almost completely destroyed by a tornado. The church was then rebuilt. In May of 1962, the first women elders were elected and a new manse was built.

Island Creek (Hilltop) United Presbyterian Church
{Still standing - Presbyterianism in the Upper Ohio Valley}

Rayland United Presbyterian Church - The earliest available records indicate that the Rayland church was organized during the winter of 1869. Layman Athelbert J. Alexander conducted the service which was held in the then new school house. On June 7, 1879, the following were admitted into membership in Portland (now Rayland): Mariah E. Norman, Mary A. Stringer, Adam C. Hathaway, Arabell Lyen, Jane J. Norman, Cynthia Tilton, and Joseph H. Stringer. The first church building was erected in September 1879. Rev. Crawford preached the dedicatory sermon. At the time of the flood of 1884, the church building provided a haven for refugees. On June 28, 1943 fire so damaged the main part of the church that the congregation decided to build a new one.

Two Ridges Presbyterian Church – still standing
(Picture from, Presbyterianism in the Upper Ohio Valley}

Richmond Presbyterian Church – The church was founded in 1805 by Rev. Alexander Calderhead. The first session members were: John Collins, John Johnson, and John Walker. The first place of worship was a structure of tent five feet by six feet and seven feet high. There was just enough head room for the pastor to stand. This was on Colonel John Andrews’s farm several miles out in the country. In 1816 a log building was built. In 1836 a new building was erected on the site of the present building. The building was destroyed by a severe storm. In 1885 this building was replaced by a larger more modern place of worship. In 1836 a decline came when the first church was built in Richmond. A part of the church congregation withdrew and created an organization in 1837 in Knoxville. The Rev. William Lorimer came in 1838, thus being the first minister to serve as pastor of both congregations (Richmond and Knoxville). Thus, these churches were sister churches from 1838 until about 1965, at which time they dissolved their union. Knoxville continued on their own for a while and merged with Hilltop United Presbyterian Church. The church had several outstanding leaders. Among them were: Colonel John Andrews, whose home was the meeting place for the organization of the church; John and Barbara Shelley who presented the land for the cemetery and for the present church grounds…and in 1848 sold to the church the grounds west of the church for hitching posts…among the ministers were: Rev. Samuel Lorimer, Rev. Andrew McCarroll, Rev. William F. Golden, Rev. Ross Walker, Rev. H.D. Gordon, Rev. Robert Porter, Rev. W.E. Gordon, Rev. J.P. Cavitt, Rev. I.D. Anderson, and Rev. Leiper Stevenson.

Alexander Calderhead 1805
F. George Buchanan 1811
Hugh Parks 1831
William Lorimer 1838-1859
J.H. Peacock 1850-1867
J.B. Borland 1850-1867
J.B. Borland 1871-1889
J.M. Duncan 1889-1893
W.T. Brownlee 1898-1902
List continues through 1972

Smithfield United Presbyterian Church – In the summer of 1866 talk of organizing a Presbytery in Smithfield began…Rev. W. R. Kirkwood was to preach in Smithfield…A committee composed of: Rev. A. Swaney, Rev. M.A. Parkinson, and Rev. W.R. Kirtwood with elders W. Plummer and John Gault to explore further possibilities was appointed. In June of 1867 a meeting was held at Beech Springs to organize a church on the first Tuesday of October 1867. The original members were: William Ekey, Margaret Ekey, Elenor Peters, Abigail J. Scott, Mary E. McGuil, Elizabeth J. Newlin, William Vermillion, Eliza O’Donnell, Mary Mathes, and John Medill. The present church was built in 1902. The building caught fire, and was rebuilt immediately.

Ministers from Smithfield Presbyterian Church:
W.R. Kirtland 1867-1872
L.A. Grove 1872-1875
A.A. Hough 1875-1881
Cook 1881-1883
W.W. Parks 1883-1884
W. M. Eaton 1884-1885
Rev. McDonald 1885-1886
Samuel Forbes 1886-1892
J.F. Boyd 1892-1893
Rev. Pringle 1893-1894
W.E. Sloane 1894-1985
W.A. King and S.M. Reed 1895-1896
C.L. McKee 1896-1897
A.A. Griffin 1897-1900
The lists continues through 1975

First United Presbyterian Church – Steubenville, Ohio – The church was organized in 1810 as a Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church. On March 7, 1811, a call was extended to Mr. George Buchanan to serve a three-point charge of Yellow Creek, Steubenville, and Harman’s Creek. He was installed June 4, 1811. About 1817 the first building was erected on the site of the present building. In 1837 the second was erected. In 1838 Rev. Buchanan served only in Steubenville. In January of 1857, Rev. J.K. Andrews became pastor. Mr. Andrews became chaplain of the 136th Ohio Regiment in the Civil War. By September of 1864, Mr. J.W. Clokey was installed. His family was very important in the history of the United Presbyterian Church in North America. His wife raised millions of dollars for missionary causes. His daughter, Mary Clokey Porter was the secretary of the Women’s Missionary Society. Rev. T.J. Kennedy was pastor form 1869-1873. In late 1873, Rev.S.J.Stewart became pastor. He resigned in 1877 and later practiced law. Rev. William S. Owens became pastor in 1877 and the old building was razed and a new building was erected. It was dedicated on January 1, 1884. Rev. William Harshaw served from 1887 to 1889. He was followed by Rev. E.M. Milligan who served until 1895...

Cross Creek Presbyterian Church – Records begin in the early years when worship services were held in the Cross Creek Community is obscure. We know that there was preaching as early as 1816. In 1837 it was decided to erect a house of worship. George Day gave an acre of ground for the church and cemetery. The first building was brick with two front doors facing east. In January of 1838, the church was organized and admitted to Steubenville Presbytery. There were twenty-five charter members. Rev. Joseph Chambers was the first minister. He served until 1850 when there were more than one hundred members. In those early years many of the members traveled several miles to attend services, many had to walk. Often they walked bare-footed and put on their shoes before entering the church. The early Sessions exercised strong discipline over the members. The first church burned in March of 1873. A new church was built and it was dedicated December 14, 1873. It was served by joint pastorates; the longest period being with the Two Ridges Church and records of Cross Creek Church, down to 1937. In 1947 the church was dissolved and its members became charter members of Starkdale Church of Steubenville.

Joseph Chambers 1839-1850
William Eaton 1851-1853
William Young 1853-1854
D.R. Campbell 1856-1861
George Scott 1863
W.R. Kirkwood 1865-1867
R.H. Van Pelt 1868-1869
Ministers, continued:
J.F. Boyd
James Patterson 1883-1884
Homer Sheeley 1885-1887
M.M. Whiteford 1888-1891
F.W. Hawley 1891
Rev. Henry Webb 1893-1901
Lists continues through 1928

Westminster Presbyterian Church – Steubenville, Ohio – The roots of the church go back prior to 1800, but the present church was formed in 1911 by uniting of the First Presbyterian Church of Steubenville. A pioneer church in Steubenville mothered several churches including the Second Presbyterian of Steubenville, founded in 1838. Other churches included were Cross Creek, in the same year; Potter Chapel, Mingo Jct.; and the Third Presbyterian Church in 1873, and the Congregational Church of Steubenville in 1875. A lot of the west side of block 200 of South Fourth Street, was the first site of the First Presbyterian. The church moved in 1872 to a new building on the site of the present Westminster Church…

Obadiah Jennings D.D. Moderator 1822
Charles Clinton Beatty, D.D. Moderator 1862

Two Ridges Presbyterian Church – Winterville, Ohio – The first record of the church is found under the date of October 19, 1802. There is no list of any charter members in existence.* For many years it met in the cabin homes of its members. In 1820 the first building was erected. The first installed pastor was William McMillan who was pastor at Yellow Creek Churches as well. He 1810 he resigned the Yellow Creek Church and took on the principle position of the Steubenville Institute Seminary. He resigned at Two Ridges in 1812. On May 21, 1819 the Rev. Thomas Hunt was installed at Two Ridges and Bacon Ridge**, the new name for Yellow Creek. He served as pastor until 1836. Rev. Eaton became pastor in 1844 followed by Rev. George Fraser in 1863, following by Rev. John L. Dickey in 1866. A large membership including a revival took place during Rev. Dickey’s ministry. He was followed by Rev. J. M. Laubach, then Rev. Israel Price until 1882. Rev. John C. McCracken served in 1879 to 1882. Rev. Patterson served then Rev. Homer Sheely, which the present church was built… (*Records do exist for the Two Ridges Church and are available at the Schiappa Library. **We believe this statement to be in error. Bacon Ridge was not a new name but another church all together and not a replacement for the Yellow Creek Church. Note - both churches date back early.)

Toronto Presbyterian Church – On December 13, 1869 a meeting was held at the home of John McFadden, at which Andrew Robertson, Robert Clark, Noah Myers, John McFadden, and Rev. W.R. Vincent were present. It was decided to build a house of worship with the consent of the Island Creek Presbyterian Church. A building was erected on the Northeast corner of the Robert Clark farm. This building was dedicated October 30, 1870. The original church was called Memorial Chapel and in 1873 was changed to the Memorial Presbyterian Church. In 1893 it was incorporated under the name of the First Presbyterian Church of Toronto. In 1887 it was desired to move the church. So it was put on rollers and moved. It was decided to build a new church in 1892. The church now numbered 260 members who were very active and aggressive. The new church was built in 1894. The church had three fires. First, when it was located on the Robert Clark property; Second, February 1895 after it had been moved on rollers; and third, on June 8, 1917 when it was struck by lightning. At this time the church was enlarged. The architect was Mr. James Metcalf of Toronto. A pipe organ was later donated and a complete set of Corillonic Bells were donated.

Rev. Vincent 1870-1874
Rev. John Swan 1874-1876
Rev. Fisher 1876-1879
Rev. Parkinson
Rev. J.H. Norris 1891
Rev. Weir 1892-1899
Rev. E.L. McIIvaine 1899-1901
Lists continues through 1974

Island Creek Church – The history of Island Creek began with a settlement of the country. At the close of the Revolutionary War, hardy pioneers began to drift into the Ohio Valley…after 1795 and the Battle of Fallen Timbers, the land on the west side of the Ohio River became safe for settlement. On Sept. 26, 1798 it was reported by the Ohio Presbytery to the Synod of Virginia then meeting in Winchester, Virginia, that the Northwest Territory had settlements for the expansion of the church, and we assume that Island Creek was one of these, for on April 16, 1799, an application was made by Island Creek Congregation for a supply minister and we believe this date would be the birth date of Island Creek Church.

Knoxville Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church – This church, very conservative in doctrine and worship, was formed in 1782 by the union of parts of the Reformed Presbyterian and the Associate Churches. This was the first church union in North America. In 1805 this part of Ohio was under the jurisdiction of the Monongahela Presbytery which had eleven ministers, only one of whom – the Rev. Alexander Calderhead, who preached at Wheeling and Short Creek – was a settled pastor on this side of the Ohio River. In the early days “riding preachers” would go around from settlement to settlement preaching. It is supposed that one of these was Rev. Calderhead, for it was he who organized the first branch of the church in this area in 1805, and in the home of Colonel John Andrews, near Richmond. After this time preaching was done in a tent, which was moved from place to place along Yellow Creek. This was in 1806. In 1816 the congregation built a hewn log meeting house and called it the “Union Church.” Later a new brick Presbyterian Church was built in Richmond.

Old Third Presbyterian Church of Steubenville dissolved – The members and friends of the Old Third Church closed on May 28, 1972. This church stands today as the oldest and most historic congregation in the City of Steubenville. The building on 235 South Fourth Street was first called “The Old Presbyterian Church.” It was purchased and deeded to the congregation by Dr. Charles C. Beatty and Hetty E. Beatty, on August 14, 1873. This pioneer organization was established in 1800, given by Bezeleel Wells where upon a small brick edifice was built in the winter of 1803-1804. In 1828 a large building was built and enlarged in 1851. In 1869 they built a new building on another site three squares further north. In 1870, twenty-seven members requested that the Old Church at 235 South Fourth Street be retained as a place of worship for the needs of the people in the south end of town. Thus, the Old Presbyterian was organized.