Cuppy/Malone Pioneer Cemetery
Elevation = 998
Cemetery is 3 miles outside of Jefferson County in Columbiana County.
WE CARE ABOUT ALL CEMETERIES – Cuppy/Maylone Cemetery and Family History. Flora VerStraten was contacted by Joyce Punkett with concerns about the future of the Cuppy Cemetery. Even though the cemetery is IN Columbiana County, Flora, along with Joyce, her husband, her cousin, Pam, and her husband, Tammy and Terry Hosenfeld spent a fall day in 2009 at the cemetery. Much to our disbelief, the same story exists in Columbiana County as does in Jefferson County. Here is the story that follows. If you would like to know more about how you can help to preserve this pioneer cemetery or learn more about the church history or the families buried there, contact Joyce at email@example.com.
The following is a Biographical Sketch – W. S. Cuppy Source, compiled by chapter member, Gail Komar: History of Columbiana County, Ohio – Harold Barth, Historical Publishing Company 1926.
W. S. Cuppy, highly esteemed in Wellsville as a substantial citizen, is a native of Columbiana County. He was born in a log cabin in Yellow Creek Township, July 19, 1860, and is the son of Hiram and Margaret (Goddard) Cuppy.
The Cuppy family has lived in Columbiana County since 1811, having settled on a tract of land in Yellow Creek Township, known as Section 15, Range 2, and Township No. 9. Hiram Cuppy became a prosperous farmer and was prominent in local politics. He was a Democrat and a member of the Christian Church. The old Cuppy cemetery, one of the first cemeteries in Columbiana County, was established by Sarah (Malone) Cuppy, grandmother of the subject of this sketch. To Mr. and Mrs. Hiram Cuppy the following children were born: John B., died July 24, 1925; Benjamin, deceased; Edwin, and William both deceased; W. S., the subject of this sketch; and Elizabeth, married to John Kelley, lives at Wellsville.
W. S. Cuppy has spent his entire life in Columbiana County. After completing his schooling he began life as a farmer. He operated the old Malone farm in Yellow Creek Township for a number of years, was later connected with the Pennsylvania Railroad for 13 years, and since April, 1923, has been employed by the U. S. Pottery Company of Wellsville.
On April 2, 1882, Mr. Cuppy was united in marriage with Miss Harriet L. Malone, who was born in Yellow Creek Township in September, 1848, the daughter of David and Hanna (Allaback) Malone. The Malone family also settled in Columbiana County at an early date. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Cuppy: Etna Lois, born Nov. 30, 1883, married John Rawlston, lives in Wellsville; one child died in infancy; and James R., born March 16, 1887, lives in Carroll County, Ohio. Mrs. Cuppy died Jan. 29, 1921, and is buried in Cuppy Cemetery.
Politically, Mr. Cuppy is a Democrat and he has served as a member of Yellow Creek School Board for 30 years. He holds membership in the Christian Church and is a citizen of material worth to his community.
County Cemeteries, Book 10, pg. 854 – “The Cuppy Cemetery, sometimes called Maylone Cemetery is located in the northeast quarter of Sec 15, Yellow Creek Twp. It is about 5 miles from the Jefferson County line and about 3 miles northwest of the Ohio River, near Baker Island. According to Mack's History of Columbiana Co., 1879, 'THE DISCIPLES CHURCH OF WELLSVILLE WAS ORGANIZED PROBABLY AS EARLY AS 1838. IT IS AGREED THAT THERE WAS PREACHING THERE BY ELDER MAHLON MARTIN, ABOUT 2 MILES north of Wellville. Among the original members were George and Naomi Martin, Mahlon Martin & wife, John McDonald, Alexander Campbell & wife, Thomas Orin, Samuel Allabach & wife. In 1841, a hewn log church was built upon the farm now (1879) occupied by Hiram Cuppy, and then owned by her mother. About that time, preaching was supplied by William Beaumont, ---Rudebush, Eli Regal, Mahlon Martin -- the latter a merchant--and supplied when no other preachers could be secured. In 1845, the society transferred its location to Wellsville and built a brick church, but the cemetery nearby was a burial ground for pioneers of the area.” There is a stone for a Civil War Veteran and a list of stones from the DAR. (Photo below courtesy of Joyce Punkett)
Contact Donald Brown of 503 15th St., Wellsville 0H 4396 who is a veteran and councilman. His phone is 330-532-5930 and contact information as of March 2010.
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the Jefferson County archivist with proof of this consent. The submitters have given permission to the Jefferson County Chapter, OGS to store these files permanently for free access.
Copyright © 2007 - 2015 - Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved
This website is designed and maintained by Amy Hissom-Daugherty